- Prep Time: 30m
- Cook Time: 1h 10m
- Total Time: 1h 40m
Make-Ahead Baked Cauliflower Rice
- 2 1/2 cups cauliflower rice (I use frozen cauliflower rice. Bags come in 12-16 oz bags, so you will need to use 2 bags)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can of tomato paste (6 oz)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano flakes
- 3 cups diced tomatoes (this is approximately 1 large can of 28 oz, or about 2 small cans)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 peppers, assorted colors
- 16 ounces shredded cheese, or about 2 cups
Prepare your Cauliflower Rice
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Empty frozen cauliflower onto a sheet pan. Break up any large clumps.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp of garlic powder over the cauliflower.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove and give the cauliflower a good stir. Then spread the cauliflower evenly over the sheet pan. Bake for about 25 more minutes, until some pieces have lightly browned. Set aside.
- Set oven to 400 F, if you made the cauliflower rice ahead of time. If not, just reduce the temperature when you finish the rice.
- In a large saute pan, cook the diced onions in about 2 Tbsp of olive oil until translucent.
- Add minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir until garlic is fragrant, or about 1 minute.
- Mix in the tomato paste and make sure everything is combined well.
- Make space in your pan and add the ground beef. Break the beef apart well so there are no large clumps. Cook until browned.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and oregano. Let simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Carefully fold in the cauliflower rice to the meat mixture. Combine well.
- Cut the tops off your peppers. Remove the seeds and membranes. Lightly rub the insides and outsides of the peppers with remaining olive oil.
- Place peppers in your baking dish and fill with the meat mixture. Pack the mixture tightly into the peppers.
- Cover the peppers with foil and bake at 400 F for 30 minutes.
- Then, remove the foil. Add shredded cheese on top of the peppers, if desired. Cook uncovered for 10 more minutes. You should cook uncovered for the extra 10 minutes even if you choose not to add cheese.