Who doesn’t love a gooey and fudgey, a little pillowy, rich and chocolatey brownie? Add in a hidden vegetable and make it gluten-free, flourless, and refined sugar-free? Bonus points! Hope you enjoy this easy guilt-free recipe as much as I did!
Created by amandasavvy on May 2, 2019
Sweet Potato Brownies
- 1/2 cup cacao powder (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup sweet potato puree (I used canned)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons softened butter (or, for the dairy free option, substitute with coconut oil and 1/8 tsp of sea salt)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease a brownie pan (preferably an 8-inch square pan) with coconut oil. I use my hands or a paper towel.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cacao powder, coconut sugar, honey, melted coconut oil, sweet potato puree, vanilla extract, and the two eggs. Mix thoroughly, until mostly smooth.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine almond flour, salt, and arrowroot powder.
- Mix the dry ingredient mixture into the wet mixture and stir until very smooth.
- Sprinkle the baking soda onto the mixture and mix thoroughly and quickly. Then, pour the batter into the greased pan.
- Bake in a fully preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes. Depending on the size of your pan, or your oven, you may need to bake a few extra minutes.
- Mix together the following until smooth: 3 Tbsp softened butter, 1 Tbsp honey, 1 Tbsp coconut sugar, 1 Tbsp arrowroot, 1 Tbsp cacao powder, and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. If dairy free, substitute coconut oil for the butter, but then add 1/8 tsp of sea salt.
- Spread the topping onto brownies as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Let the brownies cool before cutting and serving!